Introduction

All about the Edgewood Neighborhood of Washington, DC

Questions/Comments/Story Ideas - email me at lifeontheedgewood@gmail.com





Friday, April 20, 2012

New neighbor? Welcome and here are some tips...

When I first moved to Edgewood (almost 4 years ago now- time flies!) I set about researching many things about DC, my house and the neighborhood.  I thought I would share some of them now since I keep meeting new neighbors that say they read the blog.

1) Homestead Deduction - If you don't know what this is and you have purchased your house/condo please complete this paperwork as soon as possible.  If you live in your house/condo then you qualify for a significant reduction on your property taxes in DC.  All you need to do it complete this form and send it in- easiest way I know to save hundreds of dollars a year! 

2) District Department of Environment (DDOE) Programs - This DC government office offers an array of programs and grants for weatherization, storm water, and alternate energy.  DDOE has a whole list of programs under their RiverSmart Homes program.  They offer grants, rebates and advice for trees, pervious pavers, rain barrels and many other outdoor projects.  They also offer free home energy audits which can help you determine what you can do to save energy and money.  And the biggest thing that they offer are grants for adding renewable energy to your house such as solar.  I have added solar to my house and now generate over 85% of my own power.  It is much more affordable than you think and ends up making you money after a few years.  I highly recommend looking into and getting your name on the grant waiting-list.  Please also look at the DC SUN group for advice. 

3) Casey Trees - Casey Trees is a great organization in this city that plants trees to help increase the overall city tree canopy.  They offer rebates for homeowners that would like to add a new tree to their property.  If you don't have the space for a new tree you can volunteer on one of their many tree plantings around the city - I have done a few in Edgewood and Eckington with them and it is always a great time.  You can also adopt a new tree to make sure it gets enough water to survive the summer. 

4) Voting - In case you have not noticed the campaign signs all over Ward 5 we have an election coming up on May 15th for our new council member.  The Edgewood polling place has been moved to Noyes Elementary (2725 10th Street NE, Washington DC, 20018) since Shaed Elementary was closed.  There is also early voting at Turkey Thicket and downtown.  Please remember to vote!

Turkey Thicket Recreation Center
1100 Michigan Avenue, NE
Saturday, May 5 and Monday, May 7 - Saturday, May 12
8:30 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.

Old Council Chambers
One Judiciary Square
441 4th Street, N.W., Suite 250 North
Saturday, May 5 and Monday, May 7 - Saturday, May 12
8:30 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.

That is all of my tips for now.  If I think of some more I will post them or feel free to add your own in the comments!

Welcome to the neighborhood!!

No comments:

Post a Comment