Introduction

All about the Edgewood Neighborhood of Washington, DC

Questions/Comments/Story Ideas - email me at lifeontheedgewood@gmail.com





Monday, September 26, 2011

Still devastated about DC schools?

Last year I wrote about a program that I decided to volunteer with because I am disheartened about the state of DC schools especially the ones in my own neighborhood.  So many times blogs are filled with pieces about gentrification and crime, but rarely are solutions or plans offered.  While I am not saying that volunteering with Reading Partners will solve any of these larger problems I do think that it is an action that will change the life of a child and the volunteer.  Imagine if all DC students read at or above their grade level and the impact that would have on their education and future.


I am starting my second year volunteering with Reading Partners and I am determined to recruit even more of our community to join!!  The commitment is less than 2 hours a week including travel time and the lesson plans are already prepared for you.  If you can read you can tutor and you can make a huge difference in the life of a child.  The program has expanded to more schools this year and you can volunteer at any one of them. 

•Brightwood Elementary School (Brightwood, NW)
•Center City PCS - Congress Heights (Congress Heights, SE)
•Community Academy PCS - Butler Global (Logan Circle, NW)
•Community Academy PCS - Rand Campus (Fort Totten, NE)
•DC Bilingual Public Charter School (Columbia Heights, NW)
•DC Preparatory Academy - Edgewood Campus (Edgewood, NE)
•Septima Clark (Anacostia)
•Wheatley Elementary (Trinidad, NE)

I cannot encourage it enough!!  Please feel free to email me if you have any questions!

Sign up and learn more here.

Also, they are always looking for more books!  If you have children's books to donate please email me and I will happily pick them up!

No comments:

Post a Comment