Thursday, February 3, 2011
Casey Trees Summer Crew Hiring
Casey Trees Summer Crew, launched in 2002, is a team of highly motivated high school students who serve as caretakers for the District’s trees for eight weeks in the summer.
General responsibilities include watering, weeding, mulching, tracking tree condition and educating the public about basic tree care. Crew members travel by truck or street bike. When not caring for the District’s trees, crew members participate in a series of career development activities.
This summer job opportunity requires a full-time commitment from June 20th through August 12th, 2011.
• Earn a paycheck. Crew members earn $9.00 an hour and work 35 hours a week, Monday – Friday.
• Develop employment skills. For most, this will be their first job.
• Get exposure to “green” careers. This sector of the job market is fast-growing and personally rewarding.
• Meet new people. Crew members are from all around the Washington Metro Area.
• Have fun. In addition to caring for trees, crew members participate in exciting activities such as tree climbing.
How To Apply
Casey Trees began accepting applications in January 2011. All applications must be completed and submitted online by May 1, 2011.
To be considered, you must complete and submit an application — including an essay and two references — and be:
• enrolled in or just graduating high school located in the Washington Metro Area.
• 16 years or older.
• willing to work outdoors in all weather conditions with a variety of landscaping tools and equipment.
• interested in learning about and caring for trees.
• a great team player.
What is the Selection Process?
A select number of candidates are invited to interview based on their application and reference responses. Finalists participate in a field tryout in May, where prospective crew members learn firsthand the type of tree care work they will be doing for eight weeks.
Decisions are determined by the end of May 2011.
The number of available Summer Crew positions is limited. Selection is competitive.